Does It Matter What Type of Insurance You Have on Your Car?

When you are in an accident that was not your fault, you might think that it doesn’t matter what type of insurance you have because the other driver caused the accident.

While Nevada law requires every driver to be insured, many people in Nevada still do not carry insurance.  According to a report from the Insurance Research Council, in 2011 the number of uninsured drivers in Nevada was about 13%, which is close to the national average.  To make matters worse, many of the Nevada drivers who do carry insurance don’t have enough to cover a serious accident.

If you are in an accident and the other driver has no insurance or only minimal insurance, will you be covered? If you have purchased the optional uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) from your own insurance company, the answer is probably “yes.”  This type of coverage can compensate you even if the other driver has little or no insurance, and even if you have an accident with a hit-and-run driver.  One of first questions we will ask you at Koch and Brim is what type of insurance you have on your car.

Many experts strongly recommend that every Nevada driver carry UM/UIM insurance on their car with the same limits as their liability coverage.  The extra cost is relatively modest, and it provides you with and extra margin of protection if you are injured by an irresponsible driver.

Another coverage that Nevada motorists should seriously consider is the medical payment protection that is available from their insurance company.  This coverage is modest in cost and can make a significant difference to you if you are in an accident, even if you already have medical insurance.

If you have any questions about the type of car insurance coverage you have on your car, please feel free to call us at Koch and Brim. Our Las Vegas car accident lawyers can answer any questions that you might have, explain your rights, and make the entire process easy.