Las Vegas Wrongful Death Lawyer
Making Claims on Behalf of the Estate and Heirs
When a loved one’s death is caused by someone else’s negligence, the grief can be especially hard to bear. Our accident attorneys give personal attention to families that are facing the future without a loved one. From the time you ask for our help until the settlement, you will have a lawyer who is fully involved in your wrongful death case.
William Brim Discusses Wrongful Death Cases
Specifics about Wrongful Death Cases in Las Vegas
When a parent, a child, a spouse or anyone in a family is killed because of someone else’s negligence, there is no amount of money that will change that awful fact. However, the Las Vegas wrongful death attorney team at Koch & Brim, LLP understands that financial compensation is almost always necessary to address the economic realities of a wrongful death.
- Negligence and liability: When negligence causes a wrongful death, the negligent party is liable. The at-fault driver in a car accident or truck accident can be held accountable for that negligence. The auto driver that pulled in front of a motorcycle or hit a pedestrian or ran into a bicyclist is liable for the loss of life. The drunk driver who caused a fatal accident is liable to the family. Wherever fatal accidents happen due to the negligence of someone else — at a school, in a casino or hotel parking lot, on the roadway of a gated community — the person or entity responsible is liable for wrongful death.
- The losses: The wrongful death victim’s estate and heirs are entitled to financial compensation. Our lawyers will get to know you and your family so that we understand the loss of comfort and support. We will use experts to determine the loss of potential earnings and other damages.
- The wrongful death claim: We will investigate all of the facts concerning the accident and contact all insurance companies that may be involved. If there is not enough insurance to cover the wrongful death claim, we will do a full investigation into the negligent person’s assets to maximize all potential sources of compensation.
Important Wrongful Death Statistics
According to data from the CDC (Latest Data Available- 2017), here are some important statistics about wrongful deaths:
- In the U.S. there were a total number of 169,936 unintentional injury deaths in 2017.
- Wrongful deaths from motor vehicle accidents in 2017 totaled to 40,231 deaths.
- There were 36,338 unintentional fall deaths in 2017.
The Top 6 Circumstances of Wrongful Death
The six most common situations that result in a wrongful death victim are as follows:
- Medical Malpractice
- Auto Accidents
- Airplane or aviation accident
- Workplace hazard
- Criminal behavior
- Supervised on premises fatality
The 4 Necessary Elements of a Wrongful Death Claim:
There are typically four elements necessary for a wrongful death claim:
- The responsibility of the death was fully, or partly caused by the defining party.
- The defendant was specifically liable for the death of the victim.
- There is a beneficiary for the victim that is surviving. This includes a spouse, child, or any other dependent.
- There have been damages of a monetary value that have resulted from the death of the victim
Who can file a wrongful death claim?
The following parties have the right to file a wrongful death claim in Las Vegas, NV:
- The spouse, children or domestic partner of the deceased
- A representative of the deceased person’s estate
- The parents of the deceased person, if no immediate family member is available
What is the time limit for a wrongful death claim in Nevada?
Based on the statute of limitations in the state of Nevada, you must submit a wrongful death claim within 2 years of the date of the death of the person. If the time limit has expired, it’s possible that the defendant will have grounds to file a motion to dismiss the case.
What kinds of compensation can you get from a wrongful death claim?
There are many different ways that people can suffer financially from the death of a family member. If you file a wrongful death claim in Nevada, you could be eligible from any of the following from the negligent party:
- Medical Expenses
- Property Damage
- Funeral expenses
- Loss wages or work benefits
- Loss of heir benefits
Free Consultation from our Las Vegas Wrongful Death Attorney
If you have a loved one that was victim to wrongful death by the negligence of someone else, we understand what a painful and troubling situation that you are in. The Las Vegas personal injury lawyer team at Koch & Brim, LLP can help you seek compensation for financial losses, as well as help ease the pain & suffering. Contact us at our Las Vegas offices for a free consultation about your case today! 702-451-3900.
Recent Client Review:
“I was very satisfied with the services of your office, whether it be your professionalism or attention to details. If in the event I require your services again in the future, you can be sure that this office will be my first stop. Thank you very much.” – Jared