Slip, trip and fall accidents are some of the most common causes of injuries in Las Vegas. They can occur in restaurants, shops, bars, casinos, workplaces or sidewalks – leaving the victim with serious injuries and expensive medical bills. If you have injuries from a slip and fall accident in Las Vegas, the attorneys at Koch & Brim, LLP can help. Our Las Vegas slip and fall lawyers will guide you through the legal process to help you hold the responsible party accountable. We offer free initial consultations so that you can learn more about your case at no cost or obligation.
How a Slip and Fall Attorney Can Help
If you slip and fall, you may experience serious injuries that complicate your life and demand your attention. A Las Vegas slip and fall attorney can help with every phase of your personal injury claim, including the following:
- Investigation – Your Las Vegas slip and fall attorney can conduct a thorough investigation into the accident. Your lawyer can identify all potentially liable parties and gather evidence to establish their responsibility.
- Negotiation – Your slip and fall attorney can compile information about the losses you have experienced because of the slip and fall, including medical bills, employment records, tax returns, receipts, and other documentation. Your legal team can use this information to help prepare a demand package for the maximum compensation available for your claim. They can stand up to insurance companies and corporate defendants who might otherwise try to devalue or deny your claim.
- Litigation – If the insurance company refuses to make you a fair offer, your slip and fall attorney can file a lawsuit against the defendant. Then, your lawyer can conduct formal discovery to obtain additional information and evidence to use to support your claim. Your lawyer may also work with leading injury experts to further support your claim.
- Court representation – If your case goes to trial, your slip and fall attorney can represent you in court. They can voir dire potential jurors, examine and cross-examine witnesses, present evidence, and make arguments in your favor.
Do I Have a Case?
The victim of a slip/trip and fall accident will have grounds to file a lawsuit in Nevada if the owner or controller of the property fell short of his or her legal obligation to maintain a safe premises. A premises liability claim seeks financial compensation (called damages) from a property owner for violating the legal obligation to properly maintain a premises. This is referred to as negligence. Negligence can mean failing to inspect a property for slip and fall hazards, such as uneven surfaces or spilled liquids, or ignoring a known property defect. A Las Vegas personal injury attorney can help identify these issues and help you navigate the legal process involved.
Determining Liability in a Slip and Fall Accident
Property owners have a legal duty to keep their property in a safe condition to avoid injuring others. If someone slips and falls on the property, the property owner may be responsible for the resulting injuries if the accident was caused by a dangerous condition on the property and the property owner knew about it (or should have known about it) but failed to take reasonable steps to prevent injury. The victim must show that the slip and fall occurred because any of the following:
- The property owner or their agents caused or created the hazard
- The property owner or their agents knew about the dangerous condition but failed to take reasonable steps to correct it
- The property owner should have known about the hazard and a reasonable property owner would have discovered the hazard
A slip and fall attorney will identify all parties responsible for your injuries and the legal basis to hold them accountable. We can assist you with common causes of burn injuries, including:
To establish liability in this type of case, a lawyer can identify and gather evidence to help meet your burden. Evidence may include:
- The accident report
- Property maintenance and inspection records
- Photos or videos of the accident
- Surveillance footage of the incident
- Records of similar incidents or that evidence the owner knew about the dangerous condition
The business or person responsible for the accident is unlikely to hand over such evidence voluntarily. However, an experienced slip and fall lawyer knows how to preserve and compel the delivery of evidence.
Slip and Fall Accident Statistics
A slip and fall accident in Las Vegas can happen when you least expect it – such as when you’re vacationing. Unfortunately, these incidents are far from uncommon in Nevada and in Clark County, specifically. Here are the most recent available statistics:
- In 2020, 18 percent of the 1,176,340 nonfatal work injuries (approximately 211,741 injuries) resulting in days away from work in Nevada were related to slips, trips and falls.
- In 2020, 805 workers in the U.S. lost their lives in fatal slip, trip and fall accidents. The majority of these fatal accidents (645) were falls to lower levels.
- The highest number of fall accidents occurred in service-providing industries. The median number of days away from work due to fall accidents was 12.
- The elderly are most at risk of suffering serious and fatal injuries in falls. In 2020, 36,508 older adults (65 and older) died from preventable falls and over 2.8 million were treated for fall-related injuries in emergency rooms.
- Over the last decade, the number of older adult deaths from falls has increased by 59 percent. Fall deaths among those younger than 65 have also increased by 22 percent.
At Koch & Brim, LLP, you are not just a statistic. Our Las Vegas slip and fall attorneys will work closely with you to respond to your needs and personalize your legal plan. Your Las Vegas slip and fall lawyer will provide individualized care and attention to detail while holding a company or property owner responsible for your fall.
What Happens If I Slip and Fall at Work?
Slips and falls often occur at work. If you are hurt at work, you may be able to file a workers’ compensation claim. Workers’ compensation is a no-fault insurance program that provides certain benefits, including medical and partial wage replacement benefits, to people who are injured on the job. Most employers in Nevada who have one or more employees are usually required to provide workers’ compensation coverage.
A workers’ compensation claim is different from a personal injury claim. You do not have to show that your employer was negligent in order to recover benefits. However, you cannot recover the same types of damages that you can with a personal injury claim, such as the full value of your lost wages or pain and suffering. You generally cannot sue your employer. However, you could have a workers’ compensation claim while still filing a personal injury claim against a party other than your employer.
Who Can Be Held Liable in a Slip and Fall Accident?
There are a number of parties who may be responsible for a slip and fall accident. Liability will be based on the particular situation, who had control of the property, contractual obligations, and other factors. Common parties who are held liable in slip and fall accidents include:
- Property owners – Property owners are often held responsible for accidents that occur on their property. They usually have control over the property and the opportunity to notice hazards. This may be the case if you slip and fall while visiting a private residence, a business establishment, or a government building.
- Businesses – Businesses can be held liable when customers are injured on their property. Slippery floors, cluttered aisles, improperly stocked shelves, lack of lighting, and uneven floors are common causes of slips and falls. Businesses may be responsible for such accidents even if they do not own the property and only lease it.
- Government – The government may be responsible for maintaining the property on public grounds. It may also be responsible for maintaining sidewalks. If you are injured on property maintained by the government, an experienced Las Vegas slip and fall attorney can help investigate the incident and help you navigate the claims process.
- Product manufacturers – In some situations, defective products may leak or create trip hazards. The manufacturers of these products may be responsible for the accidents their products cause.
Damages Available for a Las Vegas Slip and Fall Accident
A slip and fall accident can interrupt your life – stopping everything while you receive medical care and take time off of work to heal. It can cause significant physical pain, suffering, emotional distress and inconvenience, as well. A successful slip and fall claim in Las Vegas can repay you for all of these losses and more. You may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical care reimbursement, including any future health care needs you may have.
- Necessary disability accommodations for a severe or permanent injury.
- Lost wages, earnings and future employment opportunities.
- Noneconomic damages (pain and suffering).
- Legal fees, court costs, travel expenses and other out-of-pocket costs.
At, we realize that money won’t solve everything for you as the victim of a slip and fall accident. However, it is critical to receive a fair settlement to help you and your family pay for your related bills and move forward.
Speak to a Las Vegas Slip and Fall Lawyer for Free Today
If a slip and fall accident in Las Vegas has injured you, count on Koch & Brim, LLP to do everything possible to secure the outcome that you deserve. Start with a free case consultation with a slip and fall lawyer by calling (702) 410-6034. You will meet with one of us, not a paralegal or secretary. We will listen to your story and let you know if your case has merit. Contact us today to learn more.